Sunday, March 21, 2010

Thank you Diego

So, I spoke in church last week. I asked to because Diego was supposed to come with me, but he didn't so I just spoke. I feel like it went well. I chose to speak on Testimony and Conversion. Here is the gist of how it went.
Honestly, I can't think of testimony without thinking of Sister Knorr. She was a less active that told us once that gaining a testimony was like having a baby. Ya, I was just as confused as you are. When she explained a bit more she said that a testimony is something you have to work for, it's all yours and it will grow with time. Elder Hales said, "The testimony received and carried within us enables us to hold a steady course in times of prosperity and to overcome doubt and fear in times of adversity." What are the parts of a testimony? This can be an issue in any ward, but sometimes especially in student wards. They turn into "thank-a-monies" or travel logs. When it comes down to it, a testimony is a simple statement of what you know. The foundation would be knowing that we have a loving Heavenly Father and that he has a son Jesus Christ that lived and died for us. Joseph Smith is the prophet of the restoration and that he translated the Book of Mormon by the power of God. One last part of a strong foundation of a testimony is that we have a current prophet called to lead and guide us today.
Now that we know what a testimony is, how do we gain one? In Alma 32:27 it talks about having a desire and exercising faith in that thing that you want to know about. So, if you want a testimony of the Book of Mormon, read it and live by it's teachings. A testimony is something like Sister Knorr said, is something that you have to work hard for. It all starts with a desire and grows through experiences. Not necessarily all bad experiences though. Jamie and I decided that we could tell a difference in homes where the priesthood is actively honored and kept sacred. All growing up I had that power in my home so it was something that just felt normal to me. However, after going into several homes on my mission and noticing the difference in homes that didn't have the priesthood, that experience strengthened my testimony even though I wasn't struggling I knew that the priesthood was a real power and something that is essential to have. Not only that, but experiences when we are struggling can be times of growth for our testimonies. The thing that first comes to my mind is when Kanatha died when I was on my mission. I felt like it was "sink or swim" for me. Here I had been teaching about how families were eternal and that God has a plan for us for over a year, but did I really believe it? I do! Elder Scott said, "A strong testimony is the unshakable foundation of a secure, meaningful life where peace, confidence, happiness, and love can flourish. It is anchored in a conviction that an all-knowing God is in command of His work. he will not fail. He will keep His promises." The thing is, it's not enough to just know what to do. It's like knowing how to cook, but never buying ingredients and actually making dinner. You'll starve that way. Same thing spiritually, you can't just know what to do, you have to do it. That's where being converted to the gospel comes in. Elder Christofferson said, "How can you become converted" How can you make the gospel of Jesus Christ not just an influence in your life, but the controlling influence and, indeed, the very core of what you are?" Having a desire and an open heart. Elder Oaks says, "it is not even enough for us to be convinced of the gospel; we must act and think so that we are converted by it. In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something. To testify is to know and to declare. The gospel challenges us to be "converted, ' which requires us to do and to become."
In the scriptures there is a great example of people being converted not just having a testimony. In Alma 24:6 it says that the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's were truly converted. They made covenants with the Lord and kept to them.
Elder Christofferson goes on to say that, "to be converted, you must not only open your heart to a knowledge of the gospel and the love of God, you must practice the gospel law. You cannot fully understand or appreciate it unless you personally apply it in your life."
The thing that I really love about testimony is that it's not a one time deal. I can ask anytime. Our loving Heavenly Father isn't going to say, nope...I told ya once, that's all ya get! In fact, church leaders have challenged us to do so. My only question how long has it been since I've prayed about my testimony of Joseph Smith. It's not that I'm questioning if he was a prophet or not, it's just adding another drop of oil to my lantern.

1 comment:

  1. Julz, I just love your post. You are such a good example to me. I remember thinking the same thing you did when Kanatha died but what also helped me is that I wasn't worried about myself. I was more worried about those in Mike's family who had no knowledge about what happens after death and what they were going through. I worried and tried to find ways to help them through this tough time. I had an experience on my mission where a member had a similar experience. His mother died and he was the only member in his family and it was really hard to see his family kind of fall apart because they didn't know about the spirit world and had no hope of ever seeing that wonderful woman again. It turned out to be a bittersweet missionary experience for him. But he said that worrying and trying to help his family through this ultimately helped him. I didn't think or relate this to my own experience until just now. I guess those things that we hear or experience that touch us stay in our heads and surface when we need them to without us ever realizing it. I didn't need to worry about myself because I had the knowledge. There was never any question. Just makes me want to work even harder to be the best I can be so that when I get to see her again I can be the best mother she will need. I will learn so much from her. Just want you to know that I love you.

    ReplyDelete